Goal attainment is generally reached as the result of several small actions that eventually lead to one larger desired consequence. Thus, it's important to incorporate habits into your daily routine that are ultimately helping you to achieve your goal(s).
Some of my daily habits include the following:
1. Meditating for 10 minutes or longer - This aids in spiritual health, helps me to set the intention for my day, and helps me to remain positive throughout the day.
2. Exercising for 30 minutes or more – Beginning my day with exercise helps me to stay physically fit and gives me the energy to be productive each day.
3. Reading high-brow writing (i.e. something from the New York Times) – I seek to improve my writing by studying the styles of those who are considered to be the best.
4. Writing or editing 200 words or more – This is how I practice what I’ve studied.
5. Reading a few pages or chapters in a book – I’m a voracious reader. It’s a way to learn about any topic imaginable, to study writing styles, or to be entertained. In short, reading helps keep my mind from turning to mush.
6. Studying/listening to/reading about a metaphysical, spiritual or religious theme or practice – I’m still figuring out how I feel about religion as it was presented to me growing up, so I’m researching and figuring out what feels right for me.
7. Writing a desire list – I end my day by writing out a ‘desire list’. It can list desires for the following day or week, or for the future, but it is intended to remind me of what I want, and why I need to keep up these habits each day.
On most days there are other items added to this list, and sometimes there are things removed. The ultimate goal though, is to be cognizant of how my current daily habits are affecting my future. If I can complete the tasks on this list throughout the day, I know I've moved just a little closer to accomplishing the tasks in the bigger picture.
Which of your daily habits are moving you closer to your goals?